Units That Served With The 7th Armoured Brigade



During it's history the 7th Armoured Brigade many different units served with the Brigade. I have tried to include as many as possible with as much information as possible, but I apologise is I have omitted any.

This will include the Armour, Infantry, Artillery, RE, REME, RAMC and the Royal Corps of Signals (R.Sigs) units, RASC, RAOC, and Other Units listed below. On this page I hope to explain more of the history of as many of the units shown here as possible. Where information is already available on the main 7th Armoured Division website, this is referenced to and denote by the symbol. If you wish to go direct to the information for each regiment please click on the links below;

Armoured Regiments



2nd Royal Tank Regiment

6th Royal Tank Regiment

8th Royal Tank Regiment

7th (Queen's Own) Hussars


8th Royal Tank Regiment

Royal Tank Regimental History

Service History

8th RTR: When war was declared on 3rd September 1939 found 8th RTR stationed at Pelham Down, Wiltshire, under Southern HQ command. It served with 1st Army Tank Brigade (an independent unit) during the Fall of France in May 1940. After being evacuated and re-equipped the Battalion went to the Middle East as part of the 3rd Armored Brigade, 2nd Armoured Division in North Africa, in later 1940. By the time of Operation Crusader, November 1941, 1st Army Tank Brigade, equipped with Valentine Tanks, along with 42nd and 44th RTR, supporting 2nd New Zealand Division, contributing to the Divisions stand against the German and Italian armoured attacks on 30th November 1942. It was still part of 1st Army Tank Brigade when the Germans and Italians attacked at Gazala in May 1942, helping 4th Armoured Brigade cover the withdrawal of the 50th (Northumberland) and 1st South African Divisions and also in the Cauldron battles of that campaign. It along with 4th RTR were two of the last tank units to cover the withdraw from outside Tobruk

After re-equipping the Battalion took part in the battle of  El Alamein, where it served as part of the 23rd Armoured Brigade Group supporting the 1st South African Division, before being taken out of the line and handing its tanks over to 40th RTR and 46th RTR in November 1942. It then became a Beach-Brick Battalion, moving to Syria in 1943, until it was re-equipped with tanks in early 1944. It then served alongside 7th Armoured Brigade, in Italy, joining it in August 1944, with which it served until the end of the war. Then then joined 9th Armoured Brigade in July 1945 until the end of August 1945, in the UK.

After the war it served in the occupying forces in Austria in 1946, moving to Palestine and Egypt in the second half of the same year. After serving in various brigades (including 7th Armoured Brigade again) in the UK and Germany it was amalgamated with 5th RTR on 1st July 1960.

Go to top 





2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade

1st Battalion Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

1st Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment


1st Battalion Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

Regimental Museum of The Highlanders

Queen's Own Highlanders Museum Collection

Fort George




Tel: 0131 310 8701

Service History

When war was declared on 3rd September 1939, the 1st Bn. The Cameron Highlanders were stationed at Aldershot as part of 5th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. It was with this unit that they served in the BEF during the Fall of France, 1940. They saw service in Belgium and France, fighting in the battles of St. Omer - La Bassee from 23rd to 29th May 1940. The majority of the battalion were evacuated from a beach near Dunkirk after being pushed back by repeated German air and armoured attacks, with those who did not escape going into captivity for the rest of the war.

After being re-equipped and brought back to strength in the UK, the Battalion was then sent out to India, as an independent unit. It was now that in February 1942 it served with 7th Armoured Brigade, providing it with Infantry support until replaced by 1st Bn. West Yorkshire Regiment. It the served under the command of 17th Indian Division, during the long retreat from Burma into India. The battalion then saw active service in India and Burma, again as part of 5th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, notably in the lengthy battles for Kohima (27th March 1944 - 22nd June 1944), Mandalay (12th/13th February 1945 - 21st March 1945), and the campaign along the Irrawaddy River (29th March 1945 - 30th May 1945). After the end of the war it then became part of the Army of Occupation in Japan in 1945 to 1946.

Regimental History

The 79th (Cameronian Volunteers) Regiment was raised by Alan Cameron of Erracht on 17th August 1793, as one of a number of additional regiments at the start of the French Revolutionary War. However, it was not the first regiment to bear the number 79th, as there had been two previous ones, in 1758-63 and 1778-84, although there is no connection between either of them and the 79th Highlanders. Indeed, they were English regiments. The Regiment was embodied at Stirling in January 1794 and took part in the Flanders campaign, before being sent to Martinique in 1795. Despite service in both countries they had few battlefield casualties, but their numbers were greatly reduced due to disease and, as a result, the men were drafted into the 42nd Highlanders and the cadre returning to Scotland in 1798, to recruit and bring the 79th up to establishment again. They then returned to Flanders as part of the Duke of York's Expedition and fought at Egmont-op-Zee, returning to England in 1799

In 1800 they sailed for Cadiz , but did not land and instead took part in Sir Ralph Abercromby's Expedition at Alexandria in Egypt and in 1804 the regiment was renamed 79th Regiment of Foot (Cameron Highlanders), with a second battalion being raised in 1895. The latter remained on home duty and was disbanded in 1815. After service in the Mediterranean, the 1st Battalion took part in the 1807 expedition against Copenhagen, before going to Portugal as part of Sir John Moore's Army and its subsequent retreat to Corunna. The Regiment then returned to England and in 1810 the Battalion returned to Portugal as part of the 1st Division in the army of Sir Arthur Wellesley, later the Duke of Wellington. The 79th fought with distinction at Fuentes d'Onor and were present at Salamanca. In July 1813, they fought at the Pyrenees, Nivelle, Nive and Toulouse, before returning to England. When Napoleon Bonaparte escaped from Elbe and returned to France, it service in what became know as the '100 Days Campaign' in 1815. The regiment it went to Belgium and formed part of Sir Thomas Picton's Division, fighting at Quatre Bras before retiring to Waterloo. At Waterloo, where they greatly distinguished themselves, although their losses in the three days were heavy, with 479 killed or wounded out of an initial strength of 776 officers and men. The Regiment then remained in France for three years, returning home in 1818. It then served in various postings, including Ireland, Canada and Gibraltar.

It then saw service  in the Crimean War when they became part of the Highland Brigade under Sir Colin Campbell, fighting at Alma and Sevastopol before leaving the Crimea and arriving back home in July 1856. In 1857 the Regiment sailed for Calcutta as a result of the Indian Mutiny, where it fought at the siege and capture of Lucknow and in subsequent operations against the mutineers and was the to remain in India for the next twelve years, before returning home in 1871. On 1st August 1873 the Regiment was renamed 79th (The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders) Regiment of Foot by a royal accolade granted by Queen Victoria, with the Colour of its facings being changed from green to blue. 

In 1874, a detachment of 130 volunteers from the Regiment served with the linked regiment, the 42nd Highlanders (Black Watch) during the Ashanti War in the Gold Coast. In 1879, they again served in Gibraltar and were there during the Army reforms of 1881, when all single battalion infantry regiments were subject to amalgamations. However the 79th remained independent, becoming the only single battalion regiment in the British Army, being named the 1st Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders and reorganised as the county regiment of Inverness-shire, encompassing also its Militia and Volunteer infantry.

In 1882 it sailed to Egypt and took part in the battle of Tel-el-Kebir and subsequently in the Nile Campaign. It remained in the country and took part in the 1885 fighting on the border with Sudan. It was relieved in 1886, only to return in 1898, as part of Kitchener 's Anglo-Egyptian expedition for the re-conquest of the Sudan and fought at Omdurman, to retake Khartoum. It then went to South Africa and fought in the Boer War, including the Capture of Pretoria, remaining there until the end of the war, when it returned to the United Kingdom and served in Ireland. While the 1st Battalion was serving overseas, the issue f being a single battalion regiment was corrected when a second battalion was raised in 1897, which served overseas in the Mediterranean, South Africa, China and India .

The regiment served in France and in Macedonia (1915-1918) during the First World War and like all other regiments, it raised additional battalions making a total of 14, which fought in various battlefields winning 62 Battle Honours and 3 Victoria Crosses. During the interwar years it reverted back to two regular Battalions which served around the world with the 1st Battalion being in the Far East in India and Burma, before returning via the Sudan (1934) to the UK in 1936. 

The Regiment then served on all theatres during the Second World War with 1st Battalion in France 1940 and the Far East from 1942 to 1945, 2nd Battalion in North Africa and Abyssinia as part of11th Indian Infantry Brigade, 4th Indian Infantry Division from 1939 to 1942, when the 2nd Battalion was lost when Tobruk fell in 1942. The was 2nd Battalion reconstituted by the re-designation of the 4th Battalion (a Territorial Army unit), which then continued to serve with 7th and 11th Indian Infantry Brigades, 4th Indian Infantry Division in Italy (1944) and Greece (1944-45) until the end of the war. The 5th Battalion (raised as a duplicate of 4th Battalion), was used to reform the 51st (Highland) Division after its loses during the Fall of France in 1940, joining it in August 1940, fighting with it in North Africa, Sicily and Italy, before returning the the UK. Then it landed in Normandy on 7th June 1944 and fought its way across Northern Europe as part if the Division until the end of the war. The 6th Battalion was a Home Service unit carrying out garrison duties in Inverness and the surrounding District, while the 7th Battalion became 5th (Scottish) Parachute Battalion, serving originally as part of 15th Scottish Division, before being transferred to 1st Airborne Division. It serve in Italy as part of 2nd Independent Parachute Brigade from November 1943, under the command of 2nd New Zealand Division. In August 1944 it was dropped in France as part of Operation Anvil, before returning to Italy where it service until then served  in Greece (from 14th October 1944 to 28th January 1945), assisting the Democratic Greek government in suppressing the revolt of the Communist ELAS forces. On 1st February 1945 the Brigade returned to Italy where it remained until the end of the war.

After the war number of Battalions in the Regiment was reduced to a single Battalion which which served in Malaya, Korea and Aden, but on 2nd July 1961 the Regiment was formally amalgamated with Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's), to form Queen's Own Highlanders.

Web Sites:

Brief History of Queens Own Cameron Highlanders

Queen’s Own Highlanders
Regimental Museum of Queens Own Highlanders


Go to top 

1st Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment

Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire Museum,

3 Tower Street





Tel: 01904 662790

Fax: 01904 658824

Service History

The 1st Bn. West Yorkshire Regt. was in India and then joined 17th India Division as in Independent unit. It served with 7th Armoured Brigade during the withdrawal through Burma in 1942, fighting its way to the Chindwin. After the 7th Armoured Brigade destroyed their tanks the battalion returning to 17th India Division for the rest of the war, as part of 48th Indian Infantry Brigade. This started with the battle of Meiktila (December 1944), and the continued advance into Burma till Rangoon fell to the Allied Forces in June 1945. In 1946 it moved to Austria as part of the Army of Occupation.

Regimental History

The regiment was originally raised on 22nd June 1685, as Sir Edward Hales's Regiment of Foot raised at Canterbury and saw active service in Flanders in 1693. being known until 1751 by the names of the other Colonels. It then served in Ireland and Scotland before going to Gibraltar in1727 for a 15 year stay. The Regiment returned to Scotland in 1745 until Culloden and returned to Gibraltar in 1751 for another 8 years. on 1st July 1751 it became known as 14th Regiment of Foot and in 1759, when stationed at Windsor, it was granted royal permission to wear the White Horse of Hanover.

1776 saw the Regiment in America in Halifax, Nova Scotia and Boston Massachusetts by 1768. This was followed by duty as Marines, before returning to America for the War of Independence of 1776  War. In December 1776 the remnants of the regiment were drafted to other regiments and officers sent home to re-form a new regiment.

Between 1783 and 1783 it served in in Jamaica, becoming on 31st August 1782,  14th (the Bedfordshire) Regiment of Foot. In 1793, the regiment was at the Battle of Famars, in Flanders, were the Regiment "stole" the march "Ca Ira" from its French adversaries. After this war against the French, the regiment returned home in 1803 and raised a 2nd Battalion, which went to the Peninsular, while the 1st Battalion went to India, and later. A short-lived 3rd Battalion was raised which formed part of Wellington's Army. After several successful actions in India, the 1st Battalion was, on returning home in 1831, granted the badge of the Royal Tiger, superscripted "India".

After service in the West Indies, Canada and Malta, the Regiment went to the Crimea in 1855 and took part in the capture of Sevastopol. In 1858 the 2nd Battalion was re-formed and sent to New Zealand. In 1876, the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, presented new Colours to the 1st Battalion at Lucknow and conferred on the Regiment the title "The Prince of Wales's Own". On 1st July 1881 the 14th was given the title "The West Yorkshire Regiment" and was reorganised as the county regiment of West Yorkshire, encompassing also its Militia and Volunteer infantry. In 1899 the 2nd Battalion went to the South African War where two Victoria Cross's were awarded.

At the outbreak of the First World War, the 1st Battalion was part of the original British Expeditionary Force (BEF) rapidly followed by the 2nd. During the ear the Regiment grew to 37 battalions, including Territorials, of which 24 saw action overseas and received many decorations. Among these was the French Croix de Guerre, awarded to the 8th (Leeds Rifles) Battalion for gallantry in the capture of Bligny Ridge. The Roll of Honour, including over 13,000 names, may be seen in the Regimental Chapel in York Minster. With peace returned in 1918, the Regiment was reduced to two Regular and four Territorial Battalions.

At the outbreak for the Second World War, the 1st Battalion was in India and then joined 17th India Division. It served with 7th Armoured Brigade during the withdrawal through Burma in 1942, before returning to 17th India Division for the rest of the war. In 1946 it moved to Austria as part of the Army of Occupation. Meanwhile the 2nd Battalion served with 7th Infantry Division in Palestine at the start of the war and then in Egypt, Cyprus and Tobruk as part of 9th Indian Infantry Brigade, 5th Indian Infantry Division before going to India and Burma, in May 1943, In August 1945 the Brigade and the 2nd Battalion moved to the Dutch East Indies, to disarm the Japanese forces still there. A total of 19 Battalions were formed during the war, of which most were for home defence.

The 2nd Battalion returned to UK in 1948 when it amalgamated with the 1st Battalion. This new Battalion took part in the Suez operation in 1956 and was then stationed in Dover until amalgamation on 25th April 1958, with The East Yorkshire Regiment (The Duke of York's Own), the 15th of Foot, to form, The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire Regiment.


The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire
Army page for The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire Regiment


Go to top 


Artillery Regiments, (including Anti-Tank)


1st Royal Horse Artillery
14th Royal Horse Artillery

414 Battery, 104th (Essex Yeomanry) Royal Horse Artillery

15th Field Regiment
'A' Battery, 95th Anti-Tank Regiment

414 Battery, RHA

Service History

In 1942, 414 Battery from 104th Regiment RHA was sent to Burma with the 7th Armoured Brigade to cover the withdrawal from Rangoon to Imphal. The Battery was subsequently expanded into 14th RHA Regiment, which took part in the Middle East with 10th Armoured and 31st Indian Armoured Division until the of the war.

The history of the two Regiments that it served in are below.

Royal Horse Artillery Regiments

104th (Essex Yeomanry) Royal Horse Artillery

Service History - 104th Royal Artillery (Essex Yeomanry)

The 104th (Essex Yeomanry) Royal Horse Artillery, as based at Chelmsford, Essex, when war was declared in September 1939, consisting of 339th (Essex Royal Horse Artillery) Battery at Colchester, Essex and 414th (Essex Yeomanry) Battery at Brentwood, Essex.

The Regiment went to the Middle East as part of the 2nd Support Group, 2nd Armoured Division in North Africa, and by May 1941 it was part of the Tobruk Garrison, after the destruction of 2nd Armoured Division earlier that year. Here it used its own 25-pdrs Field Guns and captured Italian howitzers and anti-aircraft guns. At one time half a dozen men from the 414 Battery trained up Australian Infantry to fight as gunners including on the captured Italian guns.

By October 1942 the Regiment was part of 10th Armoured Division, with which it fought at El Alamein and then in Syria from January 1943 until the disbandment of 10th Armoured Division, in June 1943. It then served in North Africa under Middle East HQ command before moving to Italy in October 1944, under 8th Army command for the duration of Italian campaign, until it was disbanded in Austria in 1946.

History of the Essex Yeomanry

In 1794, six Troops of the ‘Loyal Essex Regiment of Fencible Cavalry’ were formed from the Harlow area, to be later renamed ‘The Essex Light Dragoons’, against threats of a French invasion with landings on the Essex Coast. In 1797 the 1st Essex Yeomanry Cavalry Troop was raised, in Coopersale, followed by the Chelmsford Hundred Yeomanry: by 1798 there were fifteen such Yeomanry Cavalry Troops throughout Essex named, in many cases, after the village, district or landowner where they raised.

During 1813 the independent Yeomanry Troops in Essex formed themselves into the Essex Yeomanry Cavalry Regiment. The last of the old Essex Yeomanry Troops disbanded in 1828, but in 1830 the West Essex Yeomanry Cavalry was raised to help the civil powers cope with the widespread agitation in Essex caused by the proposed Reform Bill. In the 1850’s this Regiment expanded to comprise three cavalry and two artillery troops and a band, but was disbanded in 1877, the nadir of volunteering.

In 1889 however, Captain R B Colvin (later Brigadier General Sir Richard Colvin, Lord Lieutenant of Essex) raised an Essex Troop of the Loyal Suffolk Hussars, in which served many of the Essex men who subsequently fought in South Africa with the Imperial Yeomanry from 1899 - 1902. It was in 1901 that he raised the Essex Imperial Yeomanry as a fullscale Regiment with four Squadrons. In 1908 the Regiment, as the Essex Yeomanry, became part of the Territorial Force, and in 1909 received from Edward VII it’s Guidon and Regimental motto ‘Decus Et Tutamen' (Shield and protection). In 1908 also, the Essex Royal Horse Artillery Battery, based at Colchester, was raised out of the Essex Yeomanry.

In 1914 the Regiment went to France, where it was in continual action in the 8th Cavalry Brigade until 1918. On 13th May, 1915, during the Second Battle of Ypres, the Essex Yeomanry made a dismounted bayonet charge at Frezenburg Ridge which recaptured the front line trenches. The Commanding Officer, Lt Col E Deacon (of Halstead) and 69 were killed and 91 wounded; a total of 161 casualties from 302 after which and for the last three years under the command of Lt. Col. F H D C Whitmore (later Sir Francis Whitmore, Lord Lieutenant of Essex 1936 - 50). 

Meanwhile 2nd and 3rd line regiments had been raised at Colchester to reinforce the 1st line, with the 2nd regiment serving in Ireland from 1918-1919 but the 3rd was absorbed into the 4th reserve Cavalry Regiment in 1917. During the 1914 - 18 War, 467 Officers and men of the Essex Yeomanry were killed and wounded (the seventh highest total of all the Yeomanry Regiments of the United Kingdom), and a total of 134 Honours and Awards were made to Essex Yeomanry, including a Victoria Cross.

On 11th April 1917, during the advance from Arras, the 8th Cavalry Brigade was ordered to advance mounted over open country to occupy high ground east and north east of Monchy-le-Preux, a key position between the Scarpe and the Sensee. During an advance by bounds by the Essex Yeomanry, followed by the 10th Hussars, the leading two troops of C Squadron were mown down on crossing a ridge and the two regiments occupied Monchy and dug in. The two regiments, commanded by Lt Col Whitmore, held Monchy against determined German attacks for 18 hours until relieved by infantry. The Essex Yeomanry suffered 135 casualties and almost all the horses were killed. Many awards were made, in particular Lance Corporal H Mugford, late of the Essex Yeomanry, won the Victoria Cross for keeping his machine gun in action with both legs broken and other wounds.

In April 1918, the Essex Yeomanry was split up as reinforcements for three other cavalry regiments but was awarded the appropriate battle honours. Lt Col Whitmore commanded the 10th Hussars until 1919, the only Territorial Officer without previous regular service to command a regular cavalry regiment. During the 1914-18 war over 200 soldiers of the regiment were commissioned into other units and many refused commissions to stay with their friends.

In 1920 the Essex Yeomanry was again as a Cavalry Regiment of the TA, but converted to Artillery in 1921, becoming the 104th (Essex Yeomanry) Brigade RFA (Royal Field Artillery). In 1932 the Essex Royal Horse Artillery Battery joined the Regiment, which became the 104th (Essex Yeomanry) RHA. In 1939 the Territorial Army was doubled and a second Essex Yeomanry Regiment was formed as the 147th (Essex Yeomanry) Regiment RHA, later to be re-designated as Field Regiment Royal Artillery.

The 104th (Essex Yeomanry) RHA Regiment went to the Middle East in 1940 with the 1st Cavalry Division, and served in Palestine before taking part in most of the Western Desert battles (notably Alamein and throughout the Siege of Tobruk) and in the Italian campaign, until it was disbanded in Austria in 1946. The 147th Field Regiment RA landed on the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, 1944, and fought with the 8th Armoured Brigade as a spear-head unit through France, Belgium and Holland and on into Germany, being disbanded in 1946.

In 1942 414 Battery from 104th Regiment RHA was sent to Burma with the 7th Armoured Brigade to cover the withdrawal from Rangoon to Imphal. This Battery (414) was subsequently expanded into another RHA Regiment (14 RHA). In 1942 the 147th Regiment and the 86th (Herefordshire Yeomanry) Field Regiment RA jointly provided the basis for a new 191st (Herts and Essex Yeomanry) Field Regiment RA which fought from Normandy to Holland before being disbanded in 1945.

After the 1939-45 War, the Essex Yeomanry was re-raised in 1947 as 304th (Essex Yeomanry) Field Regiment RA (TA). A new Guidon was presented to the Regiment in 1949 to replace the original one which had been destroyed by enemy action when Chelmsford was bombed in 1943. In 1953 the Regiment received the special honour of the right to incorporate the RHA (Royal Horse Artillery) in it’s title.

On 1st April 1967, a further economy drive struck the regiment with the disbandment of the territorial Army. The Essex Yeomanry lost its 25-pder guns and was given a home defence infantry role in TAVR III. From 1st April 1968 to 31st March 1969 all official support was withdrawn, funds for the annual camp being raised by a Derby Draw and from further donations.

However on 1st April 1969, the Essex yeomanry was given a more active role as 70th (Essex Yeomanry) Signal Squadron of 71st (Yeomanry) Signal Regiment in TAVR II. Squadron HQ and one troop were at Chelmsford, two troops in Southend and a fourth at Harlow. The Squadron wears Royal Signals cap badges but the green berets and other distinctions of the Essex Yeomanry are retained and encouraged.

In May 1993 the Squadron moved from Victoria Road South, in the heart of Chelmsford, to a new purpose built TA Centre in Springfield Lyons, just to the north of Chelmsford. As before the centre is shared with ‘C’ Company, 6th Battalion, Royal Anglians. The Squadron has the distinction of holding the freedoms of Chelmsford and Colchester.

Today the Essex Yeomanry serves a 70 (Essex Yeomanry) Signal Squadron of the Territorial Army and has Troops in Old Harlow and Chelmsford. The role of the Squadron is to provide National Communications to aid the Civil Authorities. This entails providing communication facilities for such events as major flooding, air crashes, refugee relief or any other civil emergency.

Web Sites:

70 (Essex Yeomanry) Signal Squadron (TA) website

Essex Yeomanry Association

Army Website for 70 (EY) Signal Squadron


14th Royal Horse Artillery

14th Field Regiment, Royal Horse Artillery was formed in Dhond, India, on 1st September 1942, from 414 Battery and 525 Battery. It then served as part of 7th Armoured Brigade from then until May 1943, in Syria, before moving to 10th Armoured Division in June 1942. In November 1943, it was reorganised to include 524 Battery and then served with 31st Indian Armoured Division in North Africa and Syria again in March 1944. With the 31st Indian Armoured Division the Regiment then served in Persia, Egypt, Lebanon and Syria, until the end of the war. The Regiment was disbanded in 1947.


Royal Artillery Regiments

15th Field Regiment

The 15th Field Regiment in the Lahore area of India when war was declared in September 1939, consisting of R, S, T and U Batteries. By November 1940 it was in the Rawalpindi area, before joining 2nd (later 252nd) Indian Armoured Brigade in July of 1941, by now consisting of S/U and T/R Batteries. By January 1942 it was in Iraq, with R, T and S/U Batteries, and by August that year it came under command of 31st Indian Armoured Division and moved to Persia in March 1943. The Regiment moved to North Africa under Middle East Command in September 1943 and later 8th Army command in July 1944, having been equipped with Sexton 25-pdr Self Propelled Guns, earlier in January 1944. The Regiment was attached to support 7th Armoured Brigade for at least the latter stages of the Italian Campaign.

Go to top 

95th Anti-Tank Regiment

The 95th Anti-tank Regiment (TA) was formed  from 73rd Med Regiment RA, in October 1941. It served in the UK until moving to North Africa in December 1941. In 1942, A Battery served with 7th Armoured Brigade in Burma. In January 1943 it served with the 9th Army on Palestine, before becoming 73rd Med Regiment RA again in April 1944. As 73rd Med Regiment RA it then moved to Italy as part of the 8th Army in October 1944, until the end of the war.

Go to top 

Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC)


13th Light Field Ambulance

The Army Medical Services Museum

Keogh Barracks

Ash Vale



GU12 5RQ

Tel: 01252 340 212

History of Royal Army Medical Corps

The RAMC traces its history back to the foundation of the Regular Army, following the restoration of King Charles II in 1660, but it was not until 1898 that officers and soldiers were incorporated into one body known as the Royal Army Medical Corps. The RAMC motto In Arduis Fidelius is translated as 'Steadfast in Adversity'. The 31 Victoria Crosses won by the Corps, including a double VC and one recipient of both the VC and the Iron Cross, bear testimony to the motto and the character and ideals of the men and women who wear the badge.

Go to top 

Royal Corps of Signals

7th Armoured Brigade Signal Section

History of Royal Corps of Signals

Go to top

No. 65 Company, RASC

7th Armoured Brigade Ordnance Field Park Workshops (RAOC)

The Royal Logistic Corps Museum

Blackdown Barracks




GU16 6RW

Tel: 01252 340 871

History of Royal Army Service Corps

The Royal Army Service Corps was formed from the historical Board of Ordnance, Commissary General and other organisations such as the Corps of Waggoners. Its familiar organisation really can in 1889, when the Army Service Corps was formed by amalgamation of Commissariat and Transport Staff, and Corps. In 1918, it was named the Royal Army Service Corps

More on the history of Royal Army Service Corps

History of Royal Army Ordnance Corps

The Royal Army Ordnance Corps is one of the oldest corps in the army, it can trace its origins to the Office of Ordnance administered by the crown in the 15th century and the Board of Ordnance established after the restoration in 1683. Formally established as the RAOC in 1918 by the amalgamation of the Army Ordnance Department and Army Ordnance Corps. The Royal Army Service Corps was absorbed in 1965 and in 1993 it united with the Royal Corps of Transport, Royal Pioneer Corps, Army Catering Corps, and the Postal and Courier Service of the Royal Engineers to form the Royal Logistic Corps

More on the history of Royal Army Ordnance Corps

Go to top

Royal Engineers

RE Badge


No. 2 Troop, 3rd Field Squadron RE

History of Royal Engineers

Service History

3rd Field Squadron - The Squadron was part of 2nd Support Group, 2nd Armoured Division when it was formed in early 1940, coming under Divisional command when the 2nd Armoured Division moved to North Africa in January and February 1941. In April 1941 it served with 1st Armoured Brigade in Greece under the command of 6th Australian Division, before evacuation back to North Africa. By September 1943 it was with 10th Armoured Brigade, serving with it until May 1944, before coming under 8th Army command and having No. 2 Troop attached to 7th Armoured Division for the latter stages of the Italian Campaign.

Go to top

Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

REME Badge designed in 1942. A laurel wreath surmounted by the King's crown; on the wreath, four shields with the letters R.E.M.E. Inside the wreath is a set of callipers. This bagde was in use from 1942 to 1947, until the modern 'Horse and Lightning' badge was adopted.


7th Armoured Brigade Workshops REME

History of Royal Mechanical and Electrical Engineers

Go to top 

Other units


No 277 Forward Delivery Squadron, RAC

Go to top 


RAC Badge 1939 to 1941RAC Badge 1941 to 1945

 No 277 Forward Delivery Squadron, RAC

 The Royal Armoured Corps was in 1939 formed to encompass a Cavalry Wing (cavalry regiments which had mechanised), and the Royal Tank Regiment. Other regiments joined later as they mechanised. From 1939 to 1945 also included numbered RAC regiments converted from infantry battalions.

The purpose of the Delivery Squadrons, was to provide battlefield replacements, direct to the front line, sometimes under fire.

Web Sites:

Army Royal Armoured Corps Web Page

Royal Tank Regiment Museum, Bovington Camp

Go to top

Main 7th Armoured Brigade Engagements and campaigns page Equipment Page 7th Armoured Brigade Organisation Page Army Web Site for History of the modern 7th Armoured Brigade

Other Web sites and Books Site Map